« AnteriorContinua »
By the Governor. I have had under my consideration the mode of examining parties desiring to pass an examination in the Native Languages.
2. It appears to me, that some fixed Rules should be established, defining the nature of the examination required to be undergone. I therefore propose the following:
3. The student should be required to translate from two or three of the following works:
Epitome of the History of Ceylon. 
[U] This is a small work in Shen-Tamil, containing one hundred Stanzas, written by Afve, an authoress of great repute. It treats of proverbs, and moral maxims, &c., of a character with Hitòpadesa.
[2.] A poem, also in Shen-Tamil, written by the cebrated Thira-Valluwar, brother of Afve. It treats also on moral subjects. Several commentaries upon the text are extant. Also two translations into English. This as well as Nesthi l'enpha has been printed.
 “ The Country laws of Jaffna,” is a little work in easy prose. See an abridged English version of the same appended to the Translation of Van Lee. won's commentaries on the Roman-Dutch law.
 "Turnour's Epitome of the flistory of Ceylon,” is in easy prose.- Its style is unexceptionable.
The Calladakam. 
The Barathum.  4, Translations should also be made from written Olas given by the examiners; also translations of some Cutcherry papers, of some Leases, Mortgage or other Legal Documents, being usual in the proceedings of Courts of Justice.
5. All Translations should be fairly written, sealed and sent to the Colonial Secretary.
6. The Student should then be required to translate a Fable from English into Singhalese or Tamil, as the case may be, and to translate part of an Ordinance.
7. The Student should be able to write the Native character well and with fluency.
8. He should be able to write Letters and Orders in the Native languages on Judicial and Revenue matters.
9. The Student should be able to read with ease original communications from Headmen and Government Officers, on all Revenue matters, and on all Judicial Reports. Selections from each should be made for this purpose by the Examiners.
10. The Student should have a knowledge of the Grammar of the Language, and be able to parse in it.
11. The Student should be able to converse perfectly and fluently in the Language in which he is examined.
12. I further propose that the examination should take place half-yearly in the middle of January and the middle of July.'
 This is a poem held in high estimation amongst the Tamils.
 Our remarks on the Singhalese Ordinances will likewise apply to the Tamil.
(7) We hardly think that there is a more difficult Poem than this wellknown Epic poem in Tamil literature. It contains 12,000 stanzas in ShenTamil.
 This contains 4000 stanzas ; and is quite of a piece with the last.
13. That a Board of Examiners should be appointed, consisting of two European Gentlemen, one an Officer of Government; two Native Gentlemen; and a President to be named by the Governor.
The Board should declare whether they consider the Student qualified for the Public Service, and give the character of the Examination passed.
Pavilion, Kandy, May 27th, 1852. G. W. ANDERSON.
In the Introduction, and in this Appendix, we have given different exercises for the student. We have not, however, given a specimen of a prose translation from the English into Singhalese, written in a style which we would recommend for the adoption of the student. This we here supply at the suggestion of a friend, by translating a portion (Book III. Fable 9.) of the Sanscrit Version of the
HITOPADESA. වීරවරනම් රාජ කුමාරයෙක් කිසිදේසයකිනුත් එහිරජ බාසල හදාරටුපාල කරාපෑමින මමවනාහී මගහරක් ගස යනුරාජකුමාරයෙක්මි මාරජුදක්වයිකි, එදොරටුපාලයාවි සින් රජු දක්වනලද හෙතෙම දේවයෙන් ඉදික වූමඟ
වැඩඈතහොත් මගේදි විවැටුම කරනු ලැබේවයිකී, සූදුකර ජනතාවියදමකිගමද විතාය,, දවසට හාරසියයක් වෙතියිවීරවරකි, තාඅායුදකවරේදැයි රජු විසින් විචාරණලද වීරවරwතමදතහාකඩුව තුන්වෙනියයිකී, රජු නොපිලිවෙන්හයි. කියල.ඒඅසා වීරවරතමරජු වැඳ නික්මුනකල්ස් ඇමති ඔයෝ මදිවයෙන් මොහුට සතර දවසක වැටුප් දිකිමද ගත මේ එමපමනවෑටුලබට සුදුසේහෝ සුදුසේහෝද මොහුගේ ස්වර පදනාවෑමවයිසැලකලෝ ඉබිනි ඇවෑත් තබසින් ඔහුව කැඳවාඕහට බුලදී ඒවියදමදුස්වාහ: කුමහයිදයත් I03-බුලත මිහිරීතිවේ කාරකාසාකුළුවේ ය.
පහුදුගඳදොසුත් වාගසමිනිසාව සරලය
ගුණතෙලස කමිත් දෙලොවේවසුදුබෝ " බුලත් වනාහි කුළුරසය තිරය මදුර රසයෙමිස්රය,