« AnteriorContinua »
1. A CATALOGUE of the best publications on the organization, instruction and discipline of schools, of every grade, and on the principles of education, in the English, French, and German languages.
2. A History OF EDUCATION, ancient and modern.
3. An Account OF ELEMENTARY INSTRUCTION IN EUROPE, based on the reports of Bache, Stowe, Mann, and others.
4. National EDUCATION IN THE UNITED STATES ; or coutributions to the history ind improvement of common or public schools, and other institutions, means and agencies of popular education in the several States (B.)
5. SCHOOL ARCHITECTURE ; or the principles of construction, ventilation, warming, acoustics, seating, &o., applied to school rooms, lecture halls, and class rooms, with illustrations.
6. Normal Schools, and other institutions, means and agencies for the professional training and improvement of teachers.
7. System Of Public EDUCATION FOR LARGE CITIES AND VILLAGES, with an account of the schools and other means of popular education and recreation in the principal cities of Europe and in this country.
8. SYSTEM OF POPULAR EDUCATION FOR SPARSEDLY with an account of the schools in Norway and the agricultural portions of other countries.
9. Schools of AGRICULTURE, and other means of advancing agricultural improvement
10. Schools of Science applied to the mechanic arts, civil engineering, &o. 11. Schools of Trade, Navigation, COMMERCE, &c.
12. FEMALE EDUCATION, with an account of the best seminaries for females in this country and in Europe.
13. INSTITUTIONS FOR ORPHANS.
14. Schools of Industry, or institutions for truant, idle or neglected children, before they have been convicted of crime.
15. Reform Schools, or institutions for young criminals. 16. Houses of Refuge, for adult criminals.
17. Secondary Education, including 1. institutions preparatory to college, and 2. institutions preparatory to special schools of agriculture, engineering, trade, navigation, &c.
18. COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES.
21. SUPPLEMENTARY EDUCATION, including adult schools, evening sohools, courses of popular lectures, debating classes, mechanic institutes, &c.
22. Libraries, with hints for the purchase, arrangement, catalogueing, drawing and preservation of books, especially in libraries designed for popular
23. INSTITUTIONS FOR THE DEAF AND DUMB, BLIND, AND Idiots.
24. Societies FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT OF SCIENCE, THE ARTS AND EduCATION.
25. Public Museums AND GALLERIES.
27. EDUCATIONAL Tracts, or a series of short essays on topics of immediate practical importance to teachers and school officers.
28. EDUCATIONAL BIOGRAPHY, or the lives of distinguished educators and teachers.
29. Educational BENEFACTORS, or an account of the founders and benefaotors of educational and scientific institutions.
30. Self-EDUCATION; or hints for self-formation, with examples of the pursuit of knowledge under difficulties.
31. HOME EDUCATION ; with illustrations drawn from the Family Training of different countries.
32. EDUCATIONAL NOMENCLATURE AND INDEX; or an explanation of words and terms used in describing the systems and institutions of education in different countries, with reference to the books where the subjects are discussed and treated of.
The Series, when complete, will constitute an ENCYCLOPEDIA OF EDUCATION.
DR. HENRY BARNARD'S
STANDARD EDUCATIONAL PUBLICATIONS.
OFFICIAL REPORTS-as Superintendent of Common Schools in Connecticut, 1 vol.; as Commis
sioner of Public Schools, R. I., 1 vol.; as National Commissioner of Education, 3 vols. $4.50,
per volume, CONNECTICUT COMMON SCHOOL JOURNAL, 1838–42, 4 vols. $4.00. Second Series, 1851–54. JOURNAL OF R. I. INSTITUTE OF INSTRUCTION, 1845–48, 3 vols. $3.75. THE AMERICAN JOURNAL OF EDUCATION—from 1856 to 1873. 24 Volumes (over 20,000
octuvo pages), with 800 wood cuts of structures for educational purposes, and 125 portraits of eminent educators and teachers. Price, $10€ in cloth; $132 in half goat; Single Volume in cloth $5.00, in half goat $5.50 ; Current Volume in numbers (1875-6- International Series, Vol. I.), $4.00. Single number, $1.25.
This publication, designed to embody the history, biography, organization, studies, discipline, and statistics of systems and institutions of education in different countries, as well as the current movements and discussions in this department of individual, social, and national development, has received the most emphatic commendation of hundreds of the prominent teachers and educators of the country. At the Vienna International Exposition of 1873, where there was the largest representation of the educational literature of different countries ever brought together, the editor received a Medal for superior merit. The International Series will complete the publication as projected by the Editor in 1850, and will embrace the Treatises (1 and 2) in the Plan submitted by him to the American Association for the Advancement of Education in 1854 on the
HISTORY OF EDUCATION: or the Progressive Development of Schools of different kinds and grades, and other Formal Agencies of Instruction for children, youths, and adults in different countries, with a General Survey of National Systems in 1876-7.
* The following Treatises were originally published as separate chapters in the American Journal of Education, but were prepared with special reference to being ultimately issued in the form in which they now appear. 1876.
NATIONAL EDUCATION : GENERAL AND SPECIAL. 10 Volumes.
1. Elementary and Secondary Instruction in the German States : Anhalt, Austria, Baden, Bavaria, Brunswick, Hanover, Hesse-Cassel, Hesse-Darmstadt, Liechtenstein, Lippe-Detmold, Lippe-Schaumberg, Luxemburg and Limberg, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Nassau, Oldenburg, Prussia, Reuss, Saxony, Saxe-Altenburg, Saxe-Coburg. Saxe-Meiningen, Saxe-Weimar, Waldeck, Wurtemberg, and the Free Cities, with a general summary of the Educational Systems and Statistics for the whole of Germany, 1871. 856 pages. Price $5.50.
2. Elementary and Secondary Instruction in Switzerland (ench of the 23 Cantons), France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden, Russia, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain, 1872. 800 pages. Price $5.50 Revised Edition. 1876.
3. Contributions to the History and Statistics of Common or Public Schools (Elementary and High), Academics, Colleges, and Professional Schools in the United States, and other American States. 900 pages. Price, $5.50.
4. Elementary and Secondary Instruction in England, Scotland, and Ireland, and the different dependencies of Great Britain. 800 pages. Price, $5.50.
5. Superior Instruction in Different countries.-Ancient Greece, Rome, and Alexandria Early Christian Schools ; Medieval Universities ; and Systems and Institutions of Higher Education in European and American States, 1876. 960 pages. $5.50.
6. Scientific and Industrial Education in Austria, Baden, Bavaria, Brunswick, Free Cities, Hanover, Nassau, Prussia, Saxony, Saxon Principalities, Wurtemberg, France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Russia, Switzerland, Italy. 800 pages. Price $5.50.
7. Special Instruction in Science and the Arts in Great Britain. 256 pages. $3.00.
8. Schools and Colleges of Science, Agriculture, and the Mechanic Arts in the United; States. In press. $300. Revised Edition. 1876.
9. Military and Naval Schools in France, Prussia, Bavaria, Italy, Russia, Holland, England, and the United States. 960 pages. $6.00.
10. Professional Training and Improvement in (1.) Teaching; (2.) Theology; (3.) Law (4.) Medicine, &c., in Different countries. 850 pages. $5.50. Revised Edition. 1876.
PAYNE, A., The Science and Art of Education.. 25 SOUTHEY, ROBERT, Home Education... PHILBRICK, JOAN D., Memoir and Portrait. 50 Dr. Dove, and the Schoolmaster of Ingleton.
Work for the National Teachers' Association. 25 SPRAGUE, W. B., Influence of Yale College.. 25
Report on Boston Public Schools, 1874. 50 Spain, System of Public Instruction...
25 STANLEY, LORD, Lyceums and Popular Education 25 POMBAL, MARQUIS, Educa. Work in Portugal... 25 State and Education-The American Doctrine... 23 Port Royalists, Educational Views..
25 STEARNS, E., Early History of Normal Schools.. 25 PORTER, J. A., Plan of an Agricultural College.. 25 Stow, DAVID, Gallery Training Lesson..
25 PORTER, Noah, Prize Essay on School Reform. 25 STOWE, CALVIN E., Memoir and Portrait..
Barnard's Educational Activity in Conn. & R. I 60 Teachers' Seminaries..
50 SULLIVAN, O., Teaching the Alphabet.. Consolidation of American Colleges.... 25 Sweden and Norway, Public Instruction.
25 POTTER, E. R., Religion in Public Schools 50 SWETT, JOHN, Educational Labors and Portrait.. 50 POUCHET, M., French View of Ger. Universities 25 SWIFT, JONATHAN, Manners and Conversation.. Prussia, System of Pablic Schools..
3.00 Switzerland.-Public Instruction in each Canton 1.50 1. Primary Schools..
25 2. Secondary Schools.
50 SYBEL, H.' Von, The German University. 3. Universities.
60 TAINSA, E. C., Prize Essay on Education & Crime 25 4. Technical Schools.
50 TAPPAN, H. P., Memoir and Portrait. 6. Military Schools..
50 Educational Development of Europe.. Pablic Schools, Official Exposition in 1856. 50 TARBOX, J. N., American Education Society... QUICK, Educational Reformer-Jacotot.. 25 TAYLOR, HENRY, True Uses of Wealth QUINTILIAN, Educational Views 25 Text Books, Catalogue of..
1.00 RABELAIS, Educational Views ..
25 THAYER, GIDEON F., Memoir and Portrait... RAMU8, PETER, Memoir and Educational Views. 25 Letters to a Young Teacher...
50 RANDALL, HENRY 8.. School Libraries
25 TILLINGHABT, NICHOLAS, Memoir and Portrait... 50 RANDALL, S. S., Nemoir and Portrait... 60 Town, Salem, Schools as they were.
25 RAPHALL, M. L., Education among the Hebrews 25 TROTZENDORF, Educational Views
25 RATICH, Educational Views..
50 Tubingen University.... RAUNER, KARL Von, German Universities.. .... 2.50 TUCKER, GEORGE, Educational Census of 1840. Early Childhood...
25 Turkey, Schools and School Code.. Methods of Teaching Latin.
25 TYNDALL, Science in Education.. Methods of Teaching Arithmetic....
25 Unconscious Influence-Bushnell.. Physical Education
25 Unconscious Tuition-Huntington Education of Girls
50 United States, Systems of Public Instruction....5.50 Educational Revival in Italy....
25 Common Schools as they were aboat 1800...... 1.00 Progressives of the 17th Century. 25 Common Schools in 1870...
1.00 Ratich, Comenius and Basedow. 1.00 Colleges and Universities..
1.00 Loyola and Schools of the Jesuite..
1.00 RAUMER, RUDOLY, Instruction in German........ 25 Normal Schools..
3.50 RAVAISSON, F., Instruction in Drawing... 25 Universities and Colleges..
5.50 Reformatory and Preventive Schools & Agencies 1.50 University Life-Past and Present. Renan, E., German views of French Education.. 25 Deposition, Pennalism, Landmannschaften... RENDU, E., Prussian & French School Expenses. 25 Trípos, Prævaricator, Terre Filius.. REUCHLIN, and Education in the 16th century.. 25 VAIL, T.'H., Methods of Using Books.... Rhode Island Institute of Instruction.. 25 VASBAR, M., Memoir and Portrait..
50 RICHARDS, W.F., Manual of Methods..
50VEHRLI, J., Industrial Element in Schools.. RICKOFF, A.J., Memoir and Portrait.
50 Ventilation and Warming of School houses.
25 WADSWORTH, JAMES S., Memoir and Portrait.. ROUSSEAU, Memoir and Educational Views.. 25 WASHINGTON, GEORGE, Rules of Conduct. ROLLIN, CHARLES, Education of Youth..
50 National Education, RUSSELL, Scott, Technical University for England 25 WAYLAND, FRANCES, Memoir and Portrait. Systematic Technical Education..
25 Intellectual Education - Institute
Address. RUSSELL, WILLIAM, Memoir and Portrait..
WEBSTER, DANIEL, Educational Views.... Normal Training....
1.50 WEBSTER, Noah, Educational Views... Legal Recognition of Teaching as a Profession 25 WELLS, W.H., Memoir and Portrait.. Russia.-System of Public Instruction..
25 Methods in English Grammar. Military and Naval Education.
25 West Point Military Academy. Universities...
25 WHATELY, A., Annotations on Bacon's Eegays.. RYERSON, EDGERTON, Memoir and Portrait..... 50 WHEWELL, W., Educational Views Savigny, Universities of the Middle Ages.... 50 WHITE, E. E., Normal Schools for Obio..... Saxony, System of Public Instruction..
25 National Bureau of Education... Secondary and Superior Instruction.
25 WHITE, S. H., National Bureau of Education.. Technical and Special Schools...
25 WICHERN, T. H., German Reformatory Schools.. 50 Saxon Principalities, Public Instruction..
25 WICKERSHAM, Educational Work and Portrait... 50 SARMIENTO, Memoir and Portrait..... 50 Education in Reconstruction ..
25 The Schoolmaster's Work.
25 WILLARD, MRS. EMMA, Memoir and Portrait..... 50 School Architecture, Revised Edition, with 500 III. 5.50 WILSON, J. M., Science in Rugby School.. School Architecture, Practical Illustrations.. 1.00 WILLIAX of Wykeham and St. Mary's College.. Do. Rural and Ungraded Schools.
50 WILLM, J., Teachers' Conferences and Libraries. Do. City and Graded Schools.
.. 1.00 WIMMER, H., Special Schools in Saxony....... Do. Primary and Infant Schools........... 50 Public Instruction in Dresden......... Do. Public High Schools
60 WINES, E. C., Memoir and Portrait. Scotland, System of Public Instruction.... 50 WINTERBOTHAM, W., American Education in 1796 Secondary Schools and Universities.... 1.00 WIRT, WILLIAM, Professional Studies-Law... SEELEY. J., Cambridge System of Examinations 25 WOLF, T. A., Educational Viewe.. SEGUIN, Treatment and Training of Idiots. 25 WOTTON, SIR HENRY, Educational Views. SETON, S. S., Schools as they were 60 Years Ago 25 Wurtemberg. System of Public Instruction. SHELDON, E. A., Object Teaching....
Technical Schools... SHENSTONE, W., The Schoolmistress.............
25 WOODBRIDGE, W. C., Memoir and Portrait.. BILJSTROM, P. A., American Schools..
25 WYKEHAM and St. Mary College..
The above Treatises have all appeared as soparato articles in Barnard's American Journal of Education. Any Book or Pamphlet on the It III sent mail stage pold, on receiving the price in poi tage stampo or money order. On orders of $20 a discount of 90 per cent will be made. bet Office Box - Conn
Education, the School, and the Teacher in English Literature. Second Series. Republished from Barnard's American Journal of Education. 608
pages. $3.50. 1876. .
PAGL. INTRODUCTION ....
i-xvi CONTENTS AND INDEX OF FIRST SERIES.
ix ART. I. THE ENDOWED GRAMMAR SCHOOLS AND SECONDARY EDUCATION 1-176
9 SHREWSBURY FREE GRAMMAR SCHOOL......
11 II. WILLIAM OF WICKHAM AND ST. MARY'S COLLEGE.
13 MEMOIR AND EDUCATIONAL WORK....
13 ST. MARY'S COLLEGE-CONSTITUTION-STUDIES-CONDITION, &c... 17 III. DEAN COLET AND St. Paul's SCHOOL, LONDON..
49 St. Paul's School--STATUTES-STUDIES-CONDITION.
59 IV. GENERAL SURVEY OF THE GREAT PUBLIC SCHOOLS..
81-117 V. GREEK LANGUAGE IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS..
118 VI. GRAMMAR SCHOOLS—MODERN AND ANCIENT.
129–176 DR. ARNOLD AND RUGBY SCHOOL....
97-129 CARDINAL WOLSEY AND IPSWICH GRAMMAR SCHOOL—1528. 155–173 VII. PEDAGOGY OF THE OLD MASTERS..
177-324 RICHARD MULCASTER......
177 ELEMENTARIE, OR WRITING OF THE ENGLISH TONGUE-1581........ 178 Positions RESPECTING THE TRAINING OF CHILDREN—1561..
180 JOHN BRINSLY_1587-1665........
185 Ludus LITERARIUS, OR THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL—1627.
185 CHARLES HOOLE-1618–1677.......
189 ENGLISH EDITION OF COMENIUS's ORBIS PICTUS. New DisCOVERY OF THE OLD ART OF TEACHING.
193 THE PETTY SCHOOL.....
193 EARLY ENGLISH SCHOOL Books.
208 THE GRAMMAR School....
225 THE USHERS' DUTY...
225 THE MASTER'S METHOD.....
267 SCHOLASTIC DISCIPLINE
293 VIII. SCHOOL PUNISHMENTS-HISTORICALLY CONSIDERED.
325-336 THE STRAP-FERULE-Rod-Birch-Taws..
325 IX. ALEXANDER POPE-ROBERT SOUTH-SIR RICHARD STEELE... 337–346 THOUGHTS ON EDUCATION..
337 X. OLIVER GOLDSMITH_1731-1744.
347-358 ESSAY ON EDUCATION.
347 XI. SAMUEL JOHNSON-1708–1784...
359-364 PLAN OF STUDIES AND DETACHED THOUGHTS..
359 XII. SAMUEL PARR-1747-1825..
365-368 CHARITY School SERMON.
PAGE. XIII. ENGLISH HOME LIFE AND EDUCATION.
369-00 THE EVELYN FAMILY....
369 Mrs. ELIZABETH SADLER WALKER-MRS. LUCY HUTCHINSON....... 385 The Boyle FAMILY-LADY RANELAGH-COUNTESS OF WARWICK... 300 MARGARET LICAS-DUCHESS OF NEWCASTLE......
391 ANNE Harrison--LADY FANSHAWE....
399 DAUGHTERS OF SIR ANTHONY COOK-LADY Bacon--LADY BURLEIGH 463 XIV. ADVICE AS TO EDUCATION AND CONDUCT FOR PUBLIC LIFE... 401-416 Sir Thomas ELYOT....
401 Tue GOVERNOR, OR TRAINING FOR THE COMMON WEAL.
403 SIR THOMAS SUTH,..
415 ADVERTISEMENTS FOR Sons or NOBLEMEN AND COUNSELORS. 416 XV. EDUCATION, THE SCHOOL, AND THE TEACHER—Continued... 417-448 DANIEL DEFOE..
417 SCHEME OF A UNIVERSITY FOR LONDON-AN ACADEMY OF Music.... 421 ILLITERACY AND LEARNING-THE SCHOLAR AND THE PEDANT....... 423 Essay UPON PROJECTS----MILITARY ACADEMIES AND EXERCISES..... 419
ACADEMY OF English PHILOLOGY-ACADEMY FOR WOMEN.... 420 ROBERT SOUTHEY..
433 THE HOME AND HOME EDUCATION OF DOCTOR DANIEL Dove.
433 RICHARD GUY-THE SCHOOLMASTER OF INGLETON.......
439 DIALOGUE OF JOHANNES RIVisius 'TEXTOR......
445 XVI. TIOMAS BABINGTON MACAULAY..
449-464 ACADEMICAL EDUCATION IN 1826..
451 OBJECTIONS TO OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE........
451 MATHEMATICS-CLASSICAL STUDIES-OMISSIONS.
451 LONDON UNIVERSITY-UNIVERSITY TEACHING AT ATHENS.
459 ELEMENTARY EDUCATION AND TUE STATE....
461 COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR THE INDIA CIVIL SERVICE.
461 XVII. ENGLISH PEDAGOGY OF 19TH CENTURY.
465-544 JOSEPH PAYNE......
465 THE SCIENCE AND ART OF EDUCATION....
465 THE KINDERGARTEN SYSTEM OF FREBEL...
471 JAMES DONALDSON...
481 THE SCIENCE OF EDUCATION........
481 THE AIM OF PRIMARY Schools..
489 HENRY CALDERWOOD.......
497 ON TEACHING-ITS ENDS AND MEANS.....
497 WILLIAM JOLLY..
527 Plan OF A UNIVERSITY CHAIR OF PEDAGOGY.
527 ISAAC TODHUNTER.
529 CONFLICT OF STUDIES
529 R. H. QUICK .....
537 FIRST STEPS IN TEACHING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE.
537 XVIII. SURVEY OF ENGLISH SCHOOLS, TEACHERS AND TEACHING. 545-604 STUDIES AND CONDUCT- Inder......
545 Primary SchoolS AND ELEMENTARY INSTRUCTION—Contents ....... 553 ENGLISH PEDAGOGY-First Series--Contents...
561 NATIONAL EDUCATION--Contents....
577 INDEX TO ENGLISH PEDAGOGY-OLD AND NEW-Second Series... 593-604